At the 2018 Annual meeting in April, six committees conducted roundtable discussions in order to educate members on current programs, recruit new members and solicit feedback for ways the committees can deliver additional benefits.
PESA Committees manage a range of activities designed to educate, empower and elevate sector professionals and collective member companies. Active engagement with PESA Committees is an opportunity for professionals at all levels, and their companies, to show leadership, network with other industry leaders and gain recognition for helping improve the industry.
International Outposts Subcommittee
Committee Chair Scott Livingston, President, Intervention & Stimulation Equipment, NOV Completion & Product Solutions, reviewed the committee mission and explained the committee targeted Abu Dhabi for 2017.
The committee’s activities for this region included:
- ADIPEC, November 2017: More than 60 companies participated in a Middle East Regional District meeting where high-profile speakers Zahir Al-Wahaibi, Strategic Finance Manager, PDO; U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, Douglas Silliman; and Deputy Chief of Mission Steve Bondy, UAE, addressed PESA membership.
- MENA Steering Committee: As a result of this highly successful meeting, a MENA Steering Committee was developed with 15 PESA member companies represented.
- 2018 Goals: The committee will continue to develop and grow the chapter as well as the committee base. Fall meetings in Abu Dhabi are planned.
This committee also collaborates on strategies to support PESA Members through the Mexico Task Force.
Supply Chain Committee
Committee Vice Chair Cris Baker, President, Sigma Fasteners, opened by explaining the mission of the committee and highlighting how the committee has developed over the past several years. Each year, the committee hosts a Supply Chain Seminar, open to both members and non-members. The success of this event encouraged the committee to develop other events, working collaboratively with other PESA committees. The committee also recognized the need promote best practice sharing and benchmarking and therefore hold committee meetings at member company facilities and go on tours to share supply chain/warehouse operation best practices.
In 2018, the committee will continue to develop roundtables and cross-committee collaboration, addresses timely issues affecting PESA members supply chain activities, and share best practices.
Energy Educators and Explorers of Houston Joint Roundtable
The Energy Educators Committee oversees PESA’s educational initiatives and contributions, including support of the IPAA/PESA Energy Education Center and promotes STEM education at elementary, secondary and undergraduate levels. The Committee also sponsors fundraising activities to raise funds for these efforts.
Committee Chair Galen Cobb, Vice President-Industry Relations, Halliburton, gave an overview of the committee and its mission. The committee’s activities for 2018 include:
- NSBE Summer Engineering Experience for Kids (SEEK)
- 2018 Chairman Emeritus Pistol Shoot: Fundraiser to support PESA’s education contribution on October 9
- PESA/Rice University Internship: Member companies attract and educate future oil and gas industry professionals through a two-month internship in June and July annually.
Chuck Chauviere, President – Drilling Systems, Baker Hughes, a GE company, spoke about Explorers of Houston, which once a year honors an E&P company that demonstrates excellence innovation in education and STEM. Explorers partners with the IPAA-PESA Petroleum Academies and supports national education development programs. He also highlighted the recent 19th Annual Explorers of Houston Golf Tournament. Proceeds from the tournament support the Explorers Award for Innovation in Education, which is presented annually in the fall.
Government Affairs and International Trade Policy Committees Joint Roundtable
The Government Affairs Subcommittee establishes relationships with elected officials and their staff to expand the reach and influence of the service, supply and manufacturing sector message. This group also convenes executives for congressional dialogues and other local events designed to engage and educate policymakers.
Matt Armstrong, Counsel and Director, Global Government Affairs & Policy, Baker Hughes, a GE company, reviewed the mission of the committee and provided a brief history of PESA’s policy efforts. He explained how developing relationships with policy makers, during such events as the Washington, D.C. Fly-In, provides opportunities to engage directly with PESA members and foster on-going relationships with staff.
The committee also works with other trade associations (API, IADC, IPAA, NOIA, NAM) to elevate the profile of PESA and the OFS sector. In 2018, the committee will focus on four key legislative priorities:
- OCS Access
- Regulatory Reform
- State/Local Fracking Bans
In addition, the committee will continue to enhance the profile of PESA and the sector during the Washington, D.C. Fly-Ins and will host the first PESA Congressional Training Forum Series.
The International Trade Policy Committee works to advance trade policy positions of the OFS sector. Committee Chair Doug Polk, VP Industry Affairs, Vallourec, explained the committees activities, including:
- Russian Sanctions: A widely-cited PESA letter to congressional leadership positively impacted modifications to the sanctions
- NAFTA Renegotiations: Maintaining a “Do no harm” stance, which includes maintaining investment protection mechanisms
- Steel/Aluminum Tariffs: Member of Alliance for Competitive Steel and Aluminum Trade (ACSAT) Coalition.
In 2017, the committee also held dialogues with national and foreign dignitaries to promote business development opportunities. In 2018, the committee will continue to share current challenges and best practices within committee and broader membership, advance policy positions of the sector, and hold dialogues with national and foreign dignitaries.
Member Companies interested in joining any of the PESA committees should contact Molly Determan, VP Communications & Member Relations.