Halliburton is celebrating 100 years in the oil and gas industry, and PESA would like to salute this outstanding Member with some history from the PESA Archives.
The company, founded by Erle P. Halliburton, began when Halliburton was fired from the Perkins Oil Well Cementing company. He and his wife moved to Burkburnett, TX to find work cementing wells in the new booming fields. Starting with a borrowed pump, a wagon, a mule team, and a wooden mixing box, he called his enterprise the New Method Oil Well Cementing Company. Several months later, on May 7, 1920, he reorganized as the Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Company (HOWCO).
In 1921 Halliburton established its headquarters in Duncan, Oklahoma. The first office was one room in the home of Erle P. and his wife, and the first shop was in their garage. The work space soon grew rapidly into a manufacturing facility.
In 1922, Halliburton quickly became the leading authority on cementing with the patented jet mixer, and its book of cementing tables remains the industry standard today. The company’s foray into hydraulic fracturing in the 1940s transformed his company into a global oilfield services leader.
Halliburton joined PESA in 1953 and quickly became active in the Association with Members serving as Chairman of the Board of Directors in 1957, 1974, 1984, 1992 and 2007.
Current PESA Board Member Galen Cobb was Chairman in 2007 and remains active as Chair of the Energy Educators Committee.